We are Heather & Dori, a couple from Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn hoping to adopt a baby
Hi there! Our names are Dori and Heather. We are writing to you from our home in Brooklyn, New York. We have been dreaming of our future family for many, many years. Our home is already full of warmth, openness, laughs, music, games, and more. We are excited to share this all with a child.
Although we can be pretty goofy people, we take the decision to adopt very seriously. It is a privilege and an honor. We don’t yet, and may never, know your story. We can only imagine what is going through your mind as you read through adoption profiles. Although we hope one day to meet you, our first priority is to honor your decisions and experiences throughout this process. We are sincerely grateful that you are taking this time to consider us.
We have a lot of love to give to a child and, while we are waiting, we are sending that love to you on your journey. Thank you,
— Heather & Dori
We’re Hopeful Adoptive Parents in New York City, Looking to Adopt a Baby!
At a Glance: 10 Things to Know About Us
- We met in 2009 in Waltham, MA, while in college. We started dating in 2012 and got married in 2016.
- As a couple, we are different people who share the most important quality: supporting each other in whatever adventure each person wants to embark on next.
- Dori grew up in Charlottesville, Virginia. She works part-time as a music therapist at an enrichment and activity center for children and adults with special needs. She is particularly great with children because she is creative, physically active, go-with-the-flow, and not afraid to get messy.
- Heather grew up in New Jersey. She is a public defender, representing low-income clients. Her compassionate and empathetic presence is a large part of what has made her thrive at her job.
- We have lived in Bedford Stuyvesant (Bed-Stuy), Brooklyn, since 2015. Our home is near many of our closest family and friends. We manage to keep each other laughing loud enough to fill our whole home.
- Heather and Dori enjoy biking in and around Brooklyn for chores, to visit friends and family, and for leisure.
- We have a great apartment with plenty of room to do yoga and dance and a spare bedroom. We have many games, instruments, art supplies, and books in our home. It often has the homey smell of made-from-scratch foods and baked goods.
- Family is very important to us. We moved to New York City from the Boston-area in order to be closer to our families, who mostly live in the tri-state area (New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey)
- Our friends are also like family to us. We live near to some of our closest friends here in Brooklyn and we also love to travel to visit friends who are not here.
- We are now looking to adopt a baby! We are open to the idea of meeting you, getting to know you, and answering any questions you might have, but please know that we will respect your decisions above all else.
Who We Are
Video: Adding a little musical flavor while cooking up a big weekend breakfast
After meeting in 2009 in college near Boston, MA, we became close friends through our shared religion (Judaism) and our passion for the study of psychology. In 2012, Dori hinted to Heather that she was interested in dating. I think you can guess how that worked out. We are now happily married since 2016 and living in Brooklyn, NY, near many of our closest family and friends.
Although the COVID-19 pandemic has changed our lives drastically, it has only strengthened our love for our home and our support systems. We have enjoyed socially distanced picnics with our friends, long bike rides in all weather, and snow tubing with our niece and nephew, who we have been lucky enough to safely visit throughout the pandemic. When it’s just the two of us, we enjoy cuddling together on our couch, watching TV, reading, and talking. Every day we sing and dance along to our favorite songs. After all these years, we somehow manage to keep each other laughing loud enough to fill our whole home. Still, we cannot wait to see this place filled with friends and family again, whether we are cooking delicious food for our guests or simply having some pizza and playing boardgames together.
We take great pride in our careers serving fellow Brooklynites. Dori works part-time as a music therapist for an enrichment and activity center for children and adults with special needs. Heather is a public defender, representing low-income clients. The values that drew us to social justice careers, are not just 9-to-5 ideals to us. In our personal lives, we seek opportunities for service and action. And, just as importantly, we take time for listening and learning.
We know it may sound corny, but we feel extremely privileged to have such a wonderful life together and are eager to welcome a child into it.
Click or tap on any photo in order to enlarge, navigate and read photo captions. Press “Esc” key or tap on “X” to exit the slideshow.
Choose a topic below to read more about our story.
From there, you will also be able to see lots of pictures about our lives, family members, friends, and the fun activities we do as a couple.
Brooklyn, NY: Heather & Dori are a loving couple looking to adopt a baby. They are hopeful and legally approved to adopt a baby and may be reached at 1-800-982-3678. Their adoption agency is Friends in Adoption.